The McDowell County Board of Commissioners will maintain a public listening to subsequent month in regards to the banning of business cryptocurrency mining in McDowell.
On Monday, the commissioners held their first common assembly of the month on the County Administrative Places of work on North Foremost Avenue in Marion. In the course of the assembly, they heard an replace from Planning Director Ron Harmon about industrial cryptocurrency mining in McDowell.
Earlier this yr, the commissioners applied a moratorium on this exercise. Cryptocurrency mining is outlined as “the continual course of the place computer systems work to resolve algorithms to take care of and construct algorithmic, or blockchain, and in alternate are granted cryptocurrency.” Cryptocurrency is a type of forex that exists digitally. It’s a digital cost system that doesn’t depend on banks to confirm transactions. The cryptocurrency mining makes use of important electrical energy and water sources as a part of its operations to energy particular servers and preserve a cool local weather, mentioned native officers.
Persons are additionally studying…
“Cryptocurrency mining requires appreciable quantities of electrical energy utilization, noise, and different native impacts to communities dwelling close to the mining amenities,” reads a memo to the commissioners.
County Supervisor Ashley Wooten instructed The McDowell Information earlier this yr that there have been inquiries from firms all for beginning a cryptocurrency mining operation in McDowell.
The commissioners voted earlier this yr to enact a 12-month moratorium. In addition they directed the county Planning Board and employees to have a look at creating guidelines for cryptocurrency mining operations in McDowell County.
On Monday, Harmon introduced a draft of the industrial cryptocurrency ordinance. It roughly bans the event of business cryptocurrency mining all through the unincorporated areas of the McDowell County. The municipalities of Marion and Previous Fort might elect to permit this ordinance to be efficient inside their company limits and extraterritorial jurisdictions. Harmon mentioned it might not prohibit cryptocurrency mining by personal people.
The commissioners agreed to carry this listening to at their Dec. 11 assembly.
In a associated matter, the commissioners permitted altering the county’s telecommunications tower ordinance to adjust to new federal rules.
Commissioners additionally heard a report from Well being Director Karen Powell with the Foothills Well being District.
Powell introduced a request to extend a number of environmental well being charges. The upper charges are for analysis of latest and present wastewater methods. Powell additionally requested the commissioners to endorse a coverage of banning smoking and vaping on the Well being Division constructing.
Beneath this coverage, the Foothills Well being District will prohibit the usage of tobacco merchandise in “any constructing of the Well being Division and inside 50 toes of the constructing, thus avoiding smoke being drawn into the air flow system and circulated all through the constructing(s).” The ban will cowl Well being Division buildings, automobiles, playground, outside grounds and walkways and parking tons. It should additionally ban the usage of smokeless tobacco on the Well being Division property.
“The purpose of this coverage is to guard the well being and security of all folks utilizing well being division companies; employed by the well being division; and/or visiting well being division grounds. Particularly, to cut back the publicity to secondhand smoke and tobacco product residual materials,” reads a memo from well being officers.
The commissioners didn’t act on these requests however requested for extra info earlier than taking motion.
Throughout Monday’s assembly, the commissioners indicated they may undertake a decision in assist of Israel in its brutal conflict with Hamas. The decision will probably be introduced earlier than the board for consideration at a future assembly.
In different enterprise, the McDowell County Fee:
- Heard a report from Kim Case from myFutureNC. She gave an summary of that group and its purpose of seeing a rise statewide of the variety of post-high faculty training whether or not it’s faculty levels, certificates, or different credentials. The purpose for McDowell County is that 51% of the residents can have a postsecondary diploma or credential. After listening to from Case, the commissioners adopted a decision supporting the myFutureNC attainment purpose.
- Held a public listening to about renaming of roads. Property house owners alongside two named roads off of Hankins Highway have requested a highway renaming. Emergency Companies employees have ensured that the highway names don’t battle with any present highway names. The roads have been renamed as Drake Lee Drive and Jett Method.
- Talked in regards to the strategic planning course of. The commissioners met on the finish of August to begin the strategic planning course of. Since that point, county employees and the N.C. Commerce officers have labored to place collectively a working group comprised of the next departments/businesses: county supervisor, Sheriff’s Workplace, Emergency Companies, Tourism Improvement Authority, planning, Parks and Recreation, the Senior Middle, N.C. Cooperative Extension, the transit system, DSS, financial improvement, Foothills Well being District, Foothills Regional Fee, McDowell County Public Colleges and McDowell Technical Group Faculty. The group held its first assembly on Nov. 1 to evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, alternatives and threats that have been recognized by the commissioners. The subsequent assembly will concentrate on the imaginative and prescient that has been laid out by the board. As well as, a public enter survey has been developed.
- Heard updates about constructing tasks together with the Recreation Middle and the animal shelter. The commissioners not too long ago rejected the bids for the Recreation Middle mission. The architect is now transforming the bid scope to concentrate on the pool, parking/driveway enhancements, and no matter parts could be accomplished on the sports activities discipline. The animal shelter architects will meet with employees this week to evaluate and finalize the drawings for the shelter. A topographical survey of the proposed location on N.C. 226 South has been ordered. There have been a number of constructive discussions with donors relating to help with the mission, based on Wooten.
- Heard an replace on water system upgrades. The Nebo IA and IB tasks are being funded by the county’s $11 million state appropriation. The Common water and sewer mission is being funded by a mix of N.C. Commerce funds and American Rescue Plan Act funds for McDowell.
- Talked in regards to the HUD HOME Consortium. A number of years in the past, the commissioners agreed to permit the county to behave because the lead company for the Housing and City Improvement (HUD) HOME Consortium. This association permits for funding to be distributed from HUD to collaborating native governments. Whereas the county is the lead company and the fiscal agent, the Foothills Regional Fee does the work behind the scenes. The commissioners permitted the partnership settlement and the receipt of funds from HUD.
- Authorized leases with the American Crimson Cross and McDowell Technical Group Faculty.
- Appointed Jim Williams and David Patneaude to the Planning Board and Nancy Moore to the Transportation Advisory Board and Conner Tolley to the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council.